The Nurnberg brothers Friedrich and Heinrich Kapp, who opened for business in 1865 at Grafton Street, Dublin, could scarcely have dreamt that they would participate in the birth of a legend.
Friedrich & Heinrich soon made a name for themselves, making and selling quality Meerschaum and Briar Root pipes. One day Charles Peterson, walked into Kapp Brothers Grafton Street premises, armed with a revolutionary pipe and ambitious plans for the future.
Peterson suggested the brothers to go into partnership with him to turn his pipe dream into the world's dream pipe. They agreed and the company was now called Kapp & Peterson. Kapp and Peterson went on to become Dublin's most fashionable and respected manufacturer and purveyor of fine smoking products. Pipe and cigar smokers would stroll down to the elegant premises for professional advice on the subtle nuances that determine a good handmade cigar or pipe. The Peterson brand was embraced by politicians, business leaders, sportsmen, artists and writers.
The skills and craft which Charles Peterson applied to his original invention are continued by the dedicated team of craftsmen at Peterson today.